New York / Boston / Chicago / Seattle / Portland / Los Angeles / San Francisco
Chicago's Clint Rogers Wins 2012 Luxardo Cocktail Cup
Left to right: Matteo Luxardo, Clint Rogers, Francesco Lafranconi
The inaugural Luxardo Cocktail Cup was held this past Thursday at San Francisco's Anchor Distilling Co., as bartenders flew in from around the country to compete. With bartending gear in hand and their recipes perfected using Luxardo's vast line of liqueurs, the competitors one by one presented their cocktail creations to the all-star cast of judges which included Matteo Luxardo of Luxardo; Francesco LaFranconi, National Director of Mixology & Spirits Educator of Southern Wine & Spirits; David King, CEO of Anchor Distilling; David Nepove, President of the USBG; and Brian Kropf, Editor-in-Chief of Mutineer Magazine.
The winner of the Luxardo Cocktail Cup was Chicago's Clint Rogers, Spirits Director of Henri, with his Goat Town Swizzle. His win has earned himself a trip to Italy to visit Luxardo.
Runners up were Seattle's Andrew Friedman in second place and New York's Aaron Polsky in third place.
Winning Cocktail Recipe
Goat Town Swizzle by Clint Rogers, Henri
- 1 oz Old Portrero Straight Rye Whiskey
- .5 oz Luxardo Apricot
- .33 oz Luxardo Fernet
- .75 oz lemon juice
- .5 oz homemade orgeat*
- "minted" crushed ice**
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 3 dashes Fee Bros. Orange Bitters
- Garnish with wide spiraled lemon peel and sprig of fresh spearmint
- In a collins glass, add ingredients beginning with orgeat and ending with rye.
- Fill glass half full with "minted" crushed ice.
- Begin "swizzzling" cocktail with stick until cocktail is blended and ice forms on outside of glass.
- Top with more "minted" crushed ice and garnish with lemon and mint.
- Serve with a straw.
- Soak 30 oz. of blanched almonds in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain water and add 18 oz. of fresh water along with 2 oz. of Mandorlo almond infused grappa.
- Seal container and let rest over night.
- The next day add contents to blender and puree.
- Drain through a cheese cloth.
- Take the remaining liquid and add 2 cups of sugar.
- Bring just to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Add 5 dashes orange bitters and 1 tsp orange flower water.
- Once cool whisk in 1 tsp of xantham gum to stabilize.
- Blend mint with water and add to pot.
- Bring to a boil until chlorophyll separates from mint.
- Add mint Chlorophyll to water and freeze in a shallow pan.
- When ready to serve break ice away from pan and crush ice in a clean bar towel.
- Boston: A Tale of Two Cities by Sahil Mehta
- Chicago: Goat Town Swizzle by Clint Rogers
- Los Angeles: Bourbon Bunny Maker by Joel Black
- New York City: Dirty Martinez by Aaron Polsky
- Portland: Annegato al Luxardo by Nathan Gerdes
- San Francisco: Canevari Cocktail by Darren Crawford
- Seattle: Una Oportunidad by Andrew Friedman
Full details on the finalists and their cocktail recipes
- Matteo Luxardo
- Francesco LaFranconi
- David King
- Brian Kropf
- David Nepove