Mutineer Magazine is proud to once again be sponsoring Tales of the Cocktail’s Official Cocktail Competition.
For the 2014 Cocktail Competition, Tales of the Cocktail is getting back to its New Orleans roots by celebrating one of the city’s most renowned cocktails: The Hurricane. A legend of the French Quarter since the 1940s, the Hurricane has become a staple in bars around the world. Now we’re challenging bartenders to pay homage to this classic cocktail with their own creations.
The Hurricane hails from Pat O’Brien’s on Bourbon Street. Whiskey was in short supply after WWII, while liquor distributors were overstocked in rum; their solution was to force bars to buy a case of rum with every Scotch purchase. Legend has it that Pat O’Brien’s head bartender, Louis Culligan, came up with the Hurricane as a way to get rid of all that rum. Culligan revealed his recipe to “Cabaret” magazine in 1956: 4 ounces of gold rum, the juice of 2 lemons, and 2 ounces of “Fassionola,” a brand of bottled red passion fruit mix.
How you reinterpret this drink for 2014 is up to you, but in order not to stray too far from the original concept, your recipe must follow these three rules:
- Your base spirits must include (but are not limited to) at least one rum.
- Your sweetening agents must include (but are not limited to) passion fruit.
- It doesn’t matter how you get there, but the color of your drink should be red — or at least reddish, which is one of the hallmarks of the Hurricane. So is the Hurricane’s signature curvaceous tall glass; bonus points for crafting a drink that looks good in one.
Judges for this year will be Jeff Berry, Ian Burrell, and Wayne Curtis.
The winning recipes will receive the following:
- The first place recipe will be named the “Official Cocktail” of Tales of the Cocktail 2014
- The Official Cocktail will be in the Toast to Tales of the Cocktail Press Conference and in the official program.
- The first place recipe will be featured with photography in the Mutineer Magazine and Mutineer online publication
- The top three winning recipes will be featured in on TalesoftheCocktail.com and featured in the Tales of the Cocktail newsletter which reaches over 20,000 readers.
The deadline to submit recipes is April 24, 2014. The winner and top three cocktails will be announced May 1.
To enter and for complete information, click here.