Chicago’s Clint Rogers of Henri won our Luxardo Cocktail Competition held in October at San Francisco’s Anchor Distilling Company. Our friends at Tenzing Wine & Spirits got together with Clint to show you how to make his winning cocktail, the Goat Town Swizzle.
Goat Town Swizzle
by Clint Rogers, Henri
1 oz Old Portrero Straight Rye Whiskey
.5 oz Luxardo Apricot
.33 oz Luxardo Fernet
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz homemade orgeat*
“minted” crushed ice**
4 dashes Angostura Bitters
3 dashes Fee Bros. Orange Bitters
Garnish with wide spiraled lemon peel and sprig of fresh spearmint
Preparation Instructions: In a collins glass, add ingredients beginning with orgeat and ending with rye. Fill glass half full with “minted” crushed ice. Begin “swizzzling” cocktail with stick until cocktail is blended and ice forms on outside of glass. Top with more “minted” crushed ice and garnish with lemon and mint. Serve with a straw.
Soak 30 oz. of blanched almonds in water for 30 minutes.
Drain water and add 18 oz. of fresh water along with 2 oz. of Mandorlo almond infused grappa.
– Seal container and let rest over night.
– The next day add contents to blender and puree.
– Drain through a cheese cloth.
– Take the remaining liquid and add 2 cups of sugar.
– Bring just to a boil and then remove from heat.
– Add 5 dashes orange bitters and 1 tsp orange flower water.
– Once cool whisk in 1 tsp of xantham gum to stabilize.
Blend mint with water and add to pot.
– Bring to a boil until chlorophyll separates from mint.
– Add mint Chlorophyll to water and freeze in a shallow pan.
– When ready to serve break ice away from pan and crush ice in a clean bar towel.