We are pleased to announce the three semi-finalists from Chicago for Mutineer Magazine’s Luxardo Cocktail Cup: Charles Joly from The Aviary; Clint Rogers from Henri; and Adam Seger from Farmhouse.
The semi-finalists were selected by our Chicago judge, Ari Bendersky of EATER Chicago, who will narrow down the list over the next week to a single finalist who will represent Chicago in the finals to be held at Anchor Distilling Co. headquarters in San Francisco on October 18, 2012. The finalists will be announced on August 29. Thank you to all who entered, and congratulations to the three semi-finalists.
The Zara Fizz
By Charles Joly, The Aviary
Preparation Instructions: Combine rum, Fernet, Amaro, lemon and agave in a mixing glass. Add ice and shake. Add prosecco and roll to combine. Pour over Maraschino ice in a collins glass. Garnish with a lemon fleurette. *Maraschino ice is made in a 8:1 ratio, water:maraschino
Goat Town Swizzle
by Clint Rogers, Henri
1 oz Old Portrero Straight Rye Whiskey
.5 oz Luxardo Apricot
.33 oz Luxardo Fernet
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz homemade orgeat*
“minted” crushed ice**
4 dashes Angostura Bitters
3 dashes Fee Bros. Orange Bitters
Garnish with wide spiraled lemon peel and sprig of fresh spearmint
Preparation Instructions: In a collins glass, add ingredients beginning with orgeat and ending with rye. Fill glass half full with “minted” crushed ice. Begin “swizzzling” cocktail with stick until cocktail is blended and ice forms on outside of glass. Top with more “minted” crushed ice and garnish with lemon and mint. Serve with a straw.
Soak 30 oz. of blanched almonds in water for 30 minutes.
Drain water and add 18 oz. of fresh water along with 2 oz. of Mandorlo almond infused grappa.
– Seal container and let rest over night.
– The next day add contents to blender and puree.
– Drain through a cheese cloth.
– Take the remaining liquid and add 2 cups of sugar.
– Bring just to a boil and then remove from heat.
– Add 5 dashes orange bitters and 1 tsp orange flower water.
– Once cool whisk in 1 tsp of xantham gum to stabilize.
Blend mint with water and add to pot.
– Bring to a boil until chlorophyll separates from mint.
– Add mint Chlorophyll to water and freeze in a shallow pan.
– When ready to serve break ice away from pan and crush ice in a clean bar towel.
Make No Small Plans
by Adam Seger, Farmhouse
Preparation Instructions: Shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a sprig of slapped thyme.