Each week, wine lovers all over the Internet unite to celebrate “Wine Wednesday.” The concept is more viral than an official, sanctioned event. And it is definitely most prevalent on Twitter. The roots of the official #winewednesday hashtag trace back to the Twitter handle @TweSommelier, and has been going strong for at least a year now. Every #winewednesday, hundreds (if not thousands) of people virtually drink together, exchanging tasting notes and pairing suggestions. Some people and wineries even go as far as to organize official tastings.
As a way to contribute and support this fine beverage Internet craze, Mutineer Magazine will be spotlighting some of our favorite wine blog posts from the past week on, you guessed it, Wine Wednesday.
Here are the latest wine blog posts that caught our attention this past week:
- Cupcakes, Wine & Corsets: A Chat with Tristan Risk (Another Wine Blog)
- “A fan of corsets, wine and cupcakes, Tristan came to our attention as one of the Voodoo Dollz who performs with Big John Bates. Led by John Bates, a Gretsch-endorsed guitarist who ‘mixes punk, blues & rockabilly,’ Big John Bates was the first the first rock and roll band to add burlesque performers as part of a synchronized live group.”
- When Wine Goes Bad: A Critic’s Take On Low Scores (Steve Heimhoff)
- “Most of the time we talk about high-scoring wines and why they got those numbers. Today I want to talk about the poops in the room, because I’ve been tasting a lot of them lately.”
- Dining Out: Top Restaurant Wine Service Pet Peeves (Cuvée Corner Wine Blog)
- “What you have below is a list some of the “TOP” wine service pet peeves, that we as consumers face in restaurants across the country and around the globe for that matter. Many of these I’ve encountered on my own and many were added as a result of the poll I took.”
- An Ode To Xarel.lo: The Spicy White Mistress of Spanish Grapes (Catavino)
- “I envision Xarel.lo as a cross between the coquettish and cute Drew Barrymore and the spicy sultry side of Charlize Theron. She’s the grape that gives Cava its gorgeous structure and acidity, when paired with Parellada and Macabeo, while offering just enough citrus and stone fruit flavors to entice you in for a second sip. ”
- The Meta View: Right and Left Bank-Styled Meritage Blend Wines Trending in the U.S (Good Grape)
- “Trend watching in the wine world is something of a sport as Sommeliers, writers and pundits observe, parse, distill and then explain what is happening in the wine zeitgeist as the stories develop at the micro-trend level. Reporting on the ripple in the pond, something that can penetrate the wine lover’s consciousness over the coming years as the story grows larger, influencers act as an agent for isolating and highlighting what is next.”
- Sam Klingberg: Chicago’s Broke Wino (Sacre Bleu Wine Blog)
- “Sam Klingberg might best be described as a Guerrilla Wine Blogger, you know someone who is short on money but not passion and vision. He seems to bear a distinct Vino-esque kind of attitude of creativity and freedom. ”
In vino veritas…